Friday, January 22, 2010

The Consciousness of a Conservative

From Big Lizards:

The Consciousness of a Conservative

In correspondence with my pal and sometime co-conspirator Brad Linaweaver -- currently publisher of Mondo Cult magazine -- I coughed up a list of characteristics of conservatives.

Mind, this is not some authoritarian, top-down deduction from first principles; I developed this list by inductive reasoning, not deductive: I have studied the conservatives I know for years, and I observed the following traits.

Naturally, not every conservative has every trait; but all of those I would call "conservative" (and who call themselves conservative) satisfy the lion's share of these characteristics.

I have some (those in bold italics) but lack others. My score is 43%, six out of 14, and I do not call myself a consevative. My personal definition of a contemporary conservative ca. 2010 is that he has ten out of the 14 traits, or 70%-75%.

Conservative characteristics

  1. Optimism about the future and the courage to face its challenges
  2. The complete rejection of utopianism or human-achievable perfection -- this one was suggested by Brad; I hadn't thought of it, but Brad is right!
  3. Adventurousness, dreaming big, achieving the "impossible"
  4. Individualism, in contrast to collectivism
  5. Capitalism, in particular, small-business entrepeneurship
  6. Strong tendency towards preserving American traditions, whether good or bad
  7. Patriotism
  8. Religiosity
  9. A strong belief that personhood begins at conception, thus that abortion is nearly always morally bad
  10. A strong tendency to reject evolution by natural selection as denying God and the spiritual nature of Man
  11. Belief in the legislating of virtue
  12. Deep respect for and appreciation of the American military
  13. Respect for the democratic decisions of the people -- extreme distaste for oligarchy (especially kritarchy)
  14. Distrust of foreigners, especially immigrants

(Note that 2 and 3 do not contradict; conservatives reject utopianism... but they also reject defeatism. That's all I meant by these two.)

Your definition of conservative may not match mine; your mileage may vary. Many people call themselves conservatives who I would call liberals or libertarians or even Leftists (e.g., Andrew Sullivan). I'm not saying my definition is the true one or even the best; it's just... mine.

Naturally, readers are encouraged to comment on the list -- what should be deleted, added, or modified. You may fire when ready, Buckley!

No comments: